The reliable. The practical. The Crock Pot Chicken and Rice!
Crock Pot Chicken and Rice is the star of healthy slow cooker recipes. It’s not flashy. It’s not exotic. It’s mild enough for picky eaters but flavorful enough for more adventurous appetites. It’s freezer friendly and tastes great left over.
Using long Grain Brown Rice is higher in fiber and protein. Brown rice is also a bit heartier, so it can handle the longer cooking time better that comes along with any slow cooker meal.
Slow Cook on high.
Don’t Over Do the Onion. Unless you are a raw onion fan, be sure to chop the onion very finely and don’t add too much. If you are using an onion and concerned about it being too strong, you can sauté it on the stove before adding it to the crock pot.
Do Not Over Cook the Chicken. The chicken breasts will finish cooking before the rice. Be sure to remove them as soon as the internal temp reaches 160 – 165 degrees, then recover the crock pot and continue cooking the rice and vegetables until the rice is tender.
Season to Taste. This recipe suggests salt, pepper, thyme, and Dijon mustard. Feel free to adjust each of these to suit your and your family’s tastes.
This recipe is perfect if you are looking for an easy, healthy crock pot chicken recipe to steer you through a busy week!
- 1 cup long-grain brown rice — do not substitute any other kind of rice, including short grain, instant, or white, as the cooking time and liquid ratios will not be the same
- 1 1/2 cups diced carrots — (about 4 carrots)
- 1 small shallot — finely chopped, about 1/4 cup (you can also use 1/2 of a small regular onion, if you do not prefer the more mild flavor of the shallot)
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts — (or chicken thighs)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 1/2–3 1/2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1/2 cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup freshly grated sharp cheddar cheese
- Chopped fresh parsley — optional for serving
Lightly coat a 5-quart or larger slow cooker with nonstick spray.
Add the rice, carrots, shallot, and Dijon mustard, and stir to combine.
Arrange the chicken breasts on top, then sprinkle with the garlic powder, thyme, salt, and pepper.
Pour in the chicken broth.
Cover and cook on HIGH for 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 hours, until the chicken is cooked through.
Remove the chicken onto a plate and cover to keep warm.
Stir the rice, vegetables, and broth, then re-cover and continue cooking on high until the rice is tender, about 1 additional hour.
Uncover and stir in the peas and Greek yogurt.
Dice the chicken and stir it in with 1/4 cup cheddar cheese.
Sprinkle the remaining cheese over the top, then re-cover and cook for a few additional minutes on high until the cheese is melted.
Serve warm, sprinkled with fresh parsley as desired.