The reliable. The practical. The Crock Pot Chicken and Rice!
Crock Pot Chicken and Rice is the star of healthy slow cooker recipes. It’s not flashy. It’s not exotic. It’s mild enough for picky eaters but flavorful enough for more adventurous appetites. It’s freezer friendly and tastes great left over.
Using long Grain Brown Rice is higher in fiber and protein. Brown rice is also a bit heartier, so it can handle the longer cooking time better that comes along with any slow cooker meal.
Slow Cook on high.
Don’t Over Do the Onion. Unless you are a raw onion fan, be sure to chop the onion very finely and don’t add too much. If you are using an onion and concerned about it being too strong, you can sauté it on the stove before adding it to the crock pot.
Do Not Over Cook the Chicken. The chicken breasts will finish cooking before the rice. Be sure to remove them as soon as the internal temp reaches 160 – 165 degrees, then recover the crock pot and continue cooking the rice and vegetables until the rice is tender.
Season to Taste. This recipe suggests salt, pepper, thyme, and Dijon mustard. Feel free to adjust each of these to suit your and your family’s tastes.
This recipe is perfect if you are looking for an easy, healthy crock pot chicken recipe to steer you through a busy week!
- 1 cup long-grain brown rice — do not substitute any other kind of rice, including short grain, instant, or white, as the cooking time and liquid ratios will not be the same
- 1 1/2 cups diced carrots — (about 4 carrots)
- 1 small shallot — finely chopped, about 1/4 cup (you can also use 1/2 of a small regular onion, if you do not prefer the more mild flavor of the shallot)
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts — (or chicken thighs)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 1/2–3 1/2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1/2 cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup freshly grated sharp cheddar cheese
- Chopped fresh parsley — optional for serving
Lightly coat a 5-quart or larger slow cooker with nonstick spray.
Add the rice, carrots, shallot, and Dijon mustard, and stir to combine.
Arrange the chicken breasts on top, then sprinkle with the garlic powder, thyme, salt, and pepper.
Pour in the chicken broth.
Cover and cook on HIGH for 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 hours, until the chicken is cooked through.
Remove the chicken onto a plate and cover to keep warm.
Stir the rice, vegetables, and broth, then re-cover and continue cooking on high until the rice is tender, about 1 additional hour.
Uncover and stir in the peas and Greek yogurt.
Dice the chicken and stir it in with 1/4 cup cheddar cheese.
Sprinkle the remaining cheese over the top, then re-cover and cook for a few additional minutes on high until the cheese is melted.
Serve warm, sprinkled with fresh parsley as desired.
An amazing indoors way to celebrate the beautiful fall weather is to stop going for apple picking and just making a delicious, mouthwatering pumpkin pie. It’s just so much better than hayrides and roasting some s’mores. Moreover, you could not have a tastier treat for after dinner, enjoying some Sunday night football than this out-of-the-world recipe. And it’s simple, without any special ingredients, hassle-free, and it’s just perfect! This recipe is great for true pumpkin pie fans who want the very essence of the pumpkin flavor, the spice and a bit of tanginess without anything else getting in the way!
But Why is This Pumpkin Pie Recipe Great?
There are a couple of reasons why this pumpkin pie cake recipe will become an instant favorite and fall staple at your household. First of all, the pie will be packed with a concoction of wonderful flavors along with two big cups of pumpkin puree. In addition, you are going add all the best fall ingredients in your kitchen, such as cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg and ginger.
The cake will turn out super moist, like sticking to your fork! To make it even more delicious you are going to add a mouth watering, smooth and silky cream cheese frosting. Lastly, because the cake is single layer, you can easily pack it take to parties, game nights, tailgates etc.
The Pumpkin Cake Recipe
The recipe is quite straightforward and you can’t go wrong with it. If you have ever baked a spice cake before, the preparation is similar to that in terms of texture and taste. Plus you are not going to need more than two bowls! However, even if you haven’t baked in a while, this recipe is still easy than a ton of others!
Let’s go over the ingredients and then the method.
As mentioned, the ingredients are simple and easy, it’s a homemade cake after all.
Here is what you are going to need:
- Flour – (Go with all-purpose flour) because the cake already as a thick and wet batter.
- Baking Powder and Baking Soda – Common household ingredients that help the batter rise
- Cinnamon and Spice for the Pumpkin Pie – These are necessary ingredients to make the cake. You can prepare the spice at home by adding half a teaspoon of ground cloves, ground ginger, ground allspice and ground nutmeg. Don’t forget to add half a teaspoon of cinnamon.
- Vanilla and Salt for Added Flavor – You can add salt as per taste and buy the vanilla extract from any local grocery store.
- Cooking Oil – Layer the base of the baking pan with an even spread of cooking oil to make the base of the cake smooth and moist.
- Eggs – Add 2-3 eggs for the structure of the cake.
- Pumpkin – Along with 2 cups of fresh pumpkin puree, you will need to add 1 regular can of pumpkin. Use the entire content of the can to avoid waste.
- Sugar – You can mix some brown and white sugar for taste
- Take two bowls
- Mix dry ingredients in one bowl
- Mix the wet ingredients in the other
- Mix both the dry and wet ingredients together
- Take a 9 x 13 baking or cake pan and pour the mix in, spreading evenly
- Bake it
- Let it cool down for five minutes and then make the cream cheese frosting
- Put the cake in your fridge for 30 minutes
- And voila, it’s ready for eating
There you go – everything you need to have and know about how to bake a wonderfully delightful pumpkin pie cake.
The steaming, homemade goodness of a pumpkin pie can evoke a feeling of coziness and warmth that you can only feel when you take a bite out of this sumptuous culinary creation. A pumpkin pie is considered as a traditional kind of dessert which is usually prepared during early winter or fall. It is one of the favorites for Christmas and Thanksgiving, and is one of the symbols of Halloween because of its main ingredient.
The pie is made up of custard-type filling that’s made from either canned or fresh pumpkins which are then baked in a pie shell. It usually does not have a top crust like other pies, and it is made more flavorful by adding ginger, cloves, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Did you know that traditionally, pies were made from a “pie pumpkin” which is about 6-8 inches in diameter? Basically, the pumpkin is sliced in half, seeds are taken off, and the halves are heated until they become soft enough to make into a puree. The pureed pumpkin will then be combined with baking staples like eggs, milk, and other ingredients.
Here’s a recipe you can try out to make your very own homemade pumpkin pie:
· 2 cups of pureed sugar pumpkin, or a can of pumpkin puree. If you use a sugar pumpkin, take out the seeds, bake for about an hour and a half at 350°F then scoop out the insides, or boil it until the halves are soft, and then put the baked or boiled halves in a blender until you get to small enough pieces for pureeing.
· 1 ½ cup of heavy cream or a 12 oz. can evaporated milk
· Half cup brown sugar, dark preferably
· 1/3 cup table sugar
· ½ teaspoon of salt
· 2 whole eggs
· 1 egg yolk only
· A teaspoon of ground ginger
· ¼ teaspoon each of nutmeg, cloves, and cardamom
· Half a teaspoon of fresh lemon zest
· A good pumpkin crust
1. Preheat your oven to 425°F.
2. Mix your salt, sugar, spices, and the lemon zest in a big bowl.
3. In a separate bowl, beat the eggs and then add them to the big bowl.
4. Stir in your pumpkin puree.
5.Pour in the cream.
6. Whisk the ingredients all together until well-mixed and all the ingredients have been thoroughly incorporated.
7. Pour the resulting mixture into your prepared pie shell.
8. Bake this at 425°F for about 15 minutes. After the first 15 minutes, reduce your temperature to 350°F and bake for another 40-50 minutes or until an inserted knife comes out clean.
9. Cool the pie on a wire tack for about 2 hours. Don’t worry if the pie looks all puffed up as it comes out of the oven, this is because of the leavening action of the eggs. This will deflate after cooling.
10. Take a slice or two out after cooling, and serve each slice garnished with some whipped cream or some lemon rind on top.
All that’s left to do now is to enjoy your homemade pumpkin pie!